Before you put another cigarette in your mouth, take a look at the following side effects of smoking, and then decide if you still want to go ahead: In today’s culture, smoking is considered a fashion, both among the youth and adults alike, particularly women. However, no one has paid much attention to the effects of smoking which can lead to irreversible damage to the mind and the body. This damage is not only to individuals. It even affects our dear ones and our environment. As such, it is important to take a look at the side effects of smoking and then proceed with a healthier and more suitable course of action.
Side effects of smoking cigarettes Lots of people already suffer from these side effects and most are aware, either partly or fully, of the ill effects of smoking. Nonetheless, sometimes, a fact sheet is required to open their eyes to their invitation to bad health and embrace agony and death.
• Smoking cigarettes not only stains the teeth but, over time, it can lead to the development of oral cancer and the most common of them is tongue cancer, which not only affects the mouth but the throat area as well. It causes pain in the ear and pain when you try to swallow things
• Not only oral cancer, but smokers are also susceptible to the development of several other types of cancer, including lung cancer and it is very painful like all other cancers.
• Smoking can also lead to Bronchitis and its effect on the breath in which the patient fails to breathe properly.
• Smokers are at an increased risk of developing heart problems and stroke.
• Smoking makes the smoker feel lethargic and disturbs the metabolism of the body. This affects the immunity levels in the body, making it more prone to contracting diseases.
• The belief that smoking relieves stress is only psychological. It is a belief that is true to the withdrawal symptoms and not an actual cause of smoking.
• Smoking strips the skin of its natural glow, and ages the skin by causing the development of wrinkles, dark circles, and gray skin pallor. It also leads to sudden weight gain.
• Smoking is sure to leave a dent in your pocket, and if you calculate the expenses just on cigarettes over a period of ten years, you will see the huge amount you have spent on it.
• Lastly, smoking reduces the average life span by almost 15- 20 years.
Secondhand smoke – the greater evil
The side effects of secondhand smoking are worse than the side effects of smoking itself. It is because it consists not only of all the toxins produced by a burning cigarette but also of the smoke that is inhaled and exhaled by the smoker. Thus, the degree of damage associated with secondhand smoke increases. It is important to keep away from secondhand smoke, and also, rid it from the environment in which you reside with regular cleaning, as it settles everywhere from food to clothes and furniture.
Passive smoking effects are equally hazardous as those of active smoking.
You must be aware of the hazards of cigarette smoking, and hence, must be keeping away from it. But, do you know that passive smoking is equally deleterious to us? Let us get to know more about passive smoking.
Passive smoking is the involuntary inhalation of the smoke from cigarettes or tobacco that is being smoked by others. This smoke is known as secondhand smoke (SHS). Passive smoking, also known as involuntary smoking, occurs when cigarette smoke spreads in the air and is inhaled by people who are present in the same environment. All over the world, it has been found that passive smoking is as injurious to health as the actual smoking itself.
Most of the time, passive smokers are the ones who live with smokers, and hence, are regularly exposed to tobacco smoke. On the other hand, a non-smoker can also get exposed to tobacco smoke while working in a smoky atmosphere or simply by being in a smoke-filled restaurant or bar. In either of the cases, non-smokers have high chances of passive smoking which is hazardous to their health. Let us have a look at the effects of passive smoking.
Passive smoking effects in adults As mentioned above, passive smoking can cause dangerous health effects.
The following are minor side effects of passive smoking:
• Sore throat
• Irritation of eyes
• Infection in the nose/ear
Apart from these, there are several other long-term passive smoking effects that can lead to disability or even death.
• Lung cancer
Some diseases are not directly caused due to passive smoking. But if a person continues being exposed to passive smoke for a long time, he has an increased risk of suffering from the following diseases:
• Heart diseases
• Diseases of the circulatory system
• Renal cell carcinoma
• Brain tumor
Passive smoking effects on children
Passive smoking is more hazardous to children than to adults. As the immune system of children is very weak, they are at a higher risk of suffering from diseases.
Passive smoking effects in children include:
• Infection in lungs / ear / throat
Passive smoking affects the fetus
You may have heard that pregnant or expectant mothers are advised to quit smoking as it causes harm to the fetus. Passive smoking dangers in fetus include:
• Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
• Premature birth
• Low birth weight
• Low production of milk (in mothers)
Prevention of passive smoking
As we have seen the numerous passive smoking effects, one should be equally careful about it, the sane way as one is aware of cigarette smoking. Smoking is banned in most parts of the world. In other parts, it is banned in enclosed places like restaurants, theatres, or other public places, in order to avoid the risks of passive smoking. On the other hand, smokers can help a lot in the prevention of passive smoking. Smokers should never smoke at home or in cars. This should be strictly followed especially if there are children at home. Although it is always better to stop smoking, if smokers cannot overcome smoking, they should do it outdoors, in open places. This way, the risk of passive smoking can be greatly reduced. One should remember that there are serious passive smoking effects, and hence, one should try to stay away from it.